JMI Individual Music Theory Beginner-Grade3 2018-2019 Term2
Beginner - Grade 3
These classes enhance the learning process to compliment their practical lessons and prepare students for a Grade 1, 2 or 3 ABRSM Theory Exam. It covers all aspects of the exam, and is a fun way to learn how to write music and understand why music is written the way it is.
The student will learn:
• Note values of semibreves, minims, crotchets, quavers, semiquavers, demisemiquavers (grade 3 only), their equivalent rests, ties notes and single dotted notes and their rests.
• Simple time signatures, triplets and their rests, bar lines, and the grouping of notes within the time signatures.
• Composition of a two bar rhythm in answer to a given rhythm and a composition of a four bar rhythm(grade 2).
• The stave, Treble and Bass clefs, names of notes on the stave, including middle C, sharp, flat and natural signs, and their cancellation, and ledger lines (grade 3)
• Construction of major and minor scales (harmonic and melodic) and key of up to 4 flats and sharps, including the position of tones and semitones, scales and key signatures in both clefs with their tonic triads, degrees of the scale, and intervals above the tonic.
• Frequently used terms and signs concerning tempo, dynamics, performance directions and articulation marks and information on phrasing.